Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I have been pondering a lot this week about what it means to repent.




July 7 2014
So I have been pondering a lot this week about what it means to repent. I was studying in Preach My Gospel (of course) and in there it tells us that when we truly repent our nature changes and our view of the world, ourselves, and others changes.
 I was thinking about how if you just simply stop doing an action, for instance, if you stop eating chocolate because you are trying to be healthy, then you have made that step, or you have changed your action, therefore resulting in a healthier body... but, has your nature, or your character changed? 
 No. I believe that in order to be able to overcome that or be able to change your nature, you cannot do it on your own. The only thing that can actually change you (your nature) is the Savior Jesus Christ and I believe that is done through prayer.
 This scripture in Ether 12:27 is very popular but I have been pondering a lot about it and I noticed something different that I haven't noticed before. At the end of the verse it says: "And if men humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. " It actually isn't OUR job to make our weaknesses strengths. It is actually the Saviors.
 Our job is to be humble and have faith and HE will make it strong for us. So going back to the chocolate, if you put forth the steps by not eating it, THE LORD will help you to change. 
Actually change. He will make that weakness a strength.
 I don't know if this makes sense to you or not but I am just overwhelmed with a sense of joy right now because WE CAN REPENT. How amazing is that! We can change. And not just change our actions, but through Christ, our very natures/character/temperament can be changed too... leading us to have a fresh view or ourselves, the world, and God. 
What a great blessing that is to know. I think this is my very favorite part about the gospel and I am so grateful for that. (:

Sorry for the overload but I love you(:
Hermana Bateson 
P.S  Our fourth of July was pretty interesting. We just went out to Cheddars (this cute restaurant) and then we went with the Elders to watch fireworks but everyone did their fireworks on the 3rd instead of the 4th so there really wasn't anything too good to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment